Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:10:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bharma <bharmaji@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I get packages with tgz files

Hi
I am working with a machine with FreeBSD 4.2.8
version. I am not allowed to change the version on the
machine. I want to install some packages - in
particular the KDE package on the machine
pkg_add
ftp://pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/kde/kde<version>.tbz
results in pkg_add responding that it does not
understand tgz files. It may be that pkg_add for
FreeBSD 4.2.8 is old. How do I get tgz files then.

I tried using ports (i.e. make install clean in
/usr/ports/X11/kde). However, compilation consistently
fails while building qt. So that option is also ruled
out. Is there any other way to install kde (if tgz
files are not available)
Thanks for any responses

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs