Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:49:50 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirror Site Requirements - Summary thus far...

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:05:52AM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:

> If we agree the above is true, then it's not so important for a
> mirror to carry the files which the general public will not want.  At
> present, I'd say the general public wants 4.8-RELEASE.  Yes, some of
> them will even want 5.*.  But apart from that, what else do they
> want?

I'm not exactly a typical user but I do use what I carry in our mirror
site for both my day job and my night job... :-)

Day job is normal sys-admin, I use 4.8 on our DNS servers, firewalls,
couple fileservers, cvsup server, couple mail hubs, etc. along with
a healthy mix of other OS's, various architectures of machines, ...

Night job is teaching sys-admin and kernel hacking.  I use 5.1 for both
of those (was happy that the central fileserver for last semester's
class survived well despite me having "risked" running 5.0 on it :-).

Other than the release bits I am occasionally interested in going
through the work of updating packages to the -current level but I'll
admit I do that a lot less frequently on the FreeBSD machines than I
do on the other OS variants.  I typically do use the packages instead
of ports because they're already here on disk (mirror machine allows
NFS mounting of /ftp).  If the packages were not on the local disk
I'd probably use the ports much more often.

Once a machine is running FreeBSD I typically don't care about the
release bits for that machine any more, upgrades happen via cvsup
using the RELENG tag.

If I'm ever looking for the equivalent of what's in branches/ I don't
get it from there...  The Web interface to the cvs repository is much
more convenient.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu