Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:47:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Borowiec <mikebo@tellabs.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mikebo@tellabs.com (Mike Borowiec)
Subject:   Netscape 4.5 strong encryption trick doesn't work?

Greetings -
On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
wrote:
> Pipe any exportable netscape 4.0x through the following program and
> you get strong encryption. That's what I do always with the 40-bit
> versions for HP-UX, FreeBSD, IRIX, SunOS and even Winblows. It keeps
> me from having to wait until fortify comes out...
>
> - ---------------------- snip --------------------------
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/perl -0pi
> s/BITS:.*/$_=$&;y,a-z, ,;s, {4}$,true,gm;s, 512,2048,;$_/es
>
> - ---------------------- snap --------------------------
>
>         -Andre

Well, this script doesn't seem to work for Netscape 4.5 for FreeBSD.
I piped it through the script, and when run, it still displays that it
is using International (read weak) encryption.

I looking at the strings in the binary, it appears that the banner
message is dynamically built:

# strings netscape | grep supports
This version supports %s security with %s.

So if the script had worked, wouldn't it change the banner to show
it was using Domestic (read strong) encryption?

Has Netscape purposely thwarted the Perl filter? Anyone have an answer?
Regards,
- Mike