Date:      Tue, 13 May 2003 13:01:28 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A modest proposal for better errno values...

Bob Bishop writes:
> Hi,
>
> At 09:57 13/5/03, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> >[stuff]
> >#define EDOOFUS         88              /* Programming error */
> >[more stuff]
>
> Before the noise becomes unbearable, I have a question:
>
> Why isn't EINVAL appropriate to the case in question?

If you look at the 4 places where it's in the tree it's pretty clear that
returning EDOOFUS is meant to rub the programmer's nose in a coding error
(recursive malloc() calls, etc).

At least the error string ("Programming error") is reasonable.

I agree that the name isnt' too happily chosen and should be changed to
something more neutral before it shows up in more places in the tree.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org gj@denx.de