Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:02:41 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <hunt@mph124.rh.psu.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Jim Marker <jemstone@ifx.net>, "FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Any SCSI Tape Drive OK?

On Thu, Sep 25, 1997 at 10:35:27PM -0700, Doug White wrote:

> > I am considering buying a Seagate 4-8 Gig Tape Drive for my FreeBSD
> > system.  Any opinions?  It is very inexpensive ($409) compared to the
> > other 4-8 Gig Drives out there.
>
> Question is, what does this interface to?  If it is SCSI, then that is
> pretty cool; I bet it goes on the floppy tape or IDE controllers, in which
> case it isn't supported.

I bet it doesn't, in which case it is.

It looks like the external SCSI version of the TR-4 drive.  I have
the internal SCSI version (which sells for about $360, as does the
internal IDE version).  Assuming I've ID'd it right (the original
poster should have mentioned the model number) there are no
problems using it with FreeBSD.

Note that media for the drive are pricy, in excess of $30 per
4GB native tape.  But it seems like a nice deal if you'll only
need a few tapes.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Think locally, act globally.
finger hunt@mph124.rh.psu.edu for PGP public key.