Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2010 10:03:50 +0100
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@freebsd.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ulrich_Sp=F6rlein?= <uqs@spoerlein.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cleaning up the CDDL import mess

On 6 Jul 2010, at 09:46, Ulrich Sp=F6rlein wrote:

> On Mon, 05.07.2010 at 19:56:19 +0100, Rui Paulo wrote:
>> Right now we have four locations for CDDL import code:
>>=20
>> 1) vendor-cddl
>> 2) vendor/opensolaris
>> 3) vendor-sys/opensolaris
>> 4) and... HEAD itself.
>>=20
>> 1) vendor-cddl seems to be the first DTrace import and it's probably =
ready to be svn rm'ed because it creates too much confusion. The first =
thing someone who is looking at CDDL source is to probably look at =
vendor-cddl and I would like to avoid this.
>> But I don't know what will happen to the mergeinfo in head/cddl and =
head/sys/cddl (I think no harm will be done).
>>=20
>> 2 and 3) These are the correct locations IMHO and I know that jhb did =
move the code here in the past.
>>=20
>> 4) The ZFS code lives in HEAD, unfortunately. I thought the policy =
was to have a vendor import for vendor code so that we could merge =
*from* upstream more easily. I was told that this is being done to some =
extent in Perforce, but I don't know how acceptable this to the =
community.
>>=20
>> I need to import some DTrace code into 2 and 3, but I would like to =
svn rm vendor-cddl, if there are no objections.
>=20
> I don't get why we even have a vendor-sys and vendor-crypto and would
> like to see all of them moved into one common vendor tree. Just my two
> cents ...

That's actually another problem that I do not want to tackle right now. =
What I do want to do is get rid of vendor-cddl. Then we can think about =
the others...

Regards,
--
Rui Paulo