Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 19:33:16 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Real bad installation lockup

Hi!

I have a case of installation lockup while copying files to the disk
(pretty sure it's while trying to write them). The machine is a DEC
Venturis 100MHz Pentium, 32MB RAM, DE435 ethernet card, two EIDE drives
(both masters, one 640MB fireball with Win95 on it, and the other a
1600MB Western Digital on which I try to install FreeBSD). There is also
an Adaptec 2940, but there are no devices on it (I also tried removing
it...). I install from a Creative CDROM (on the first EIDE controller). I
also tried to install from an MSDOS partition, with the same results.

The case history is really weird: I had FreeBSD running on the machine for
about 2 weeks when Win95 crashed, and messed up the CMOS setup (anyhow I
had to reset all settings to get it to boot). From that day, FreeBSD would
hang up during boot when it tried to fsck the disks, with the drive light
on. Since there wasn't much on it, I decided to reinstall. However, the
installation locks up with the same symptoms when trying to copy some of
the files. I next suspected a hardware failure caused all this mess. I
moved the 1600MB disk to a similar machine (but with a 75MHz CPU and 24MB
of RAM), and it worked like a charm! This made me almost sure it's a
hardware problem. I had my machine's motherboard replaced today (it's
still under warranty and Digital has really good service), and the symptoms
remain the same!!!

I already tried almost any trick I can think of (BIOS settings,
installing to another disk, etc.)

Any guess???

I'm really desperate on this (the story started almost a month ago).

Thanks alot,
Nadav