Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:09:55 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        "Laurence Morell, MIS Coordinator" <nchcvt@sover.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Netserver

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Laurence Morell, MIS Coordinator wrote:

> Our HR dept. has offered to donate an HP Netserver/66 LC for use as a
> central SMTP
> server for the corporation. We've been considering FreeBSD; however
> according
> to several FAQ items, there are some problems related to the built in
> SCSI adapter
> as well as with using a `dangerously' dedicated hard drive. Are these
> issues still
> viewed as problematic; should we graciously refuse the offer ?

Can't comment on the LC, but I have an LM/60 (uniproc, ISA/EISA only)
running 2.2.7 just fine.  Even have 4 of the 5 drives in a ccd.  Not using
"dangerously dedicated" disks but would be surprised if that would have
been a problem.

The gotcha is with their PCI/EISA systems, where the SCSI is on the EISA
bus.  There is a documented boot configuration setting for dealing
with this during install, and a kernel config option for permanent
operation.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia