Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 18:22:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vinay Bannai <vinay@agni.nuko.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need a common passwd file among machines

Thanks for several suggestions.

Lots of cool ideas flying around. That is what I was afraid of. I wanted
to make this task as simple as possible. Let's say I have scaled down my
expectations and just would be content with having uid/gid consistency
over all machines. (Since my cvs tree was exported and people could edit
it on their machines, I saw a different user name/group when I looked at
the files from my own machine because of the uid/gid mismatch).

Considering all this, I am leaning towards NIS. As Terry mentioned in his
e-mail, if I consider the network safe enough to do NFS exports, it should
be safe enough for NIS. :-(

BTW, at Stanford they use AFS systems with Kereberos for
authentication. The number of accounts (my guess) would be around
25,000-35,000 accounts. The users are dispersed in differenet AFS cells
based on their usernames. The mail being handled by several POP
servers. The mail agents on all the machines were modified to use POP3
protocol to retreive the mail from the mail servers.

Vinay
--
Vinay Bannai                     E-mail: vinay@agni.nuko.com
(408)-526-0280 x 275 (Work)     http://agni.nuko.com/~vinay