Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:53:11 -0700
From:      pius@ienet.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        terryl@ienet.com
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.2.7 box freezes occasionally

Hi,

We have a box running 2.2-19980730-SNAP (so that's from about a week
after 2.2.7 was released) that occasionally freezes up. I'm looking
for some ideas as to why this might be happening. The symptoms are as
follows:

The box still responds to pings and traceroutes.

The DNS server on the box still responds to queries.

When I telnet to the box, I get the "Connected to ..." and
"Escape character is '^]'." messages, but I don't get a login
prompt. Same thing with the web server: I can telnet to port 80,
and I'll get the "Connected to ..." and "Escape character ..."
messages, but when I enter an HTTP request, the server won't
respond.

The console is frozen.

The box has the following configuration:

350 MHz Pentium II
128 MB RAM
DPT RAID controller that mirrors 2 9GB drives
DPT SmartBus Integration Kit
cheap S3 AGP video card

The kernel was recompiled to support quotas, bpf, and 24-character
usernames, and maxusers was set to 64. None of the servers on the
machine are currently being used very much. So the load should be very
light.

I said earlier that this problem occurs occasionally. This is actually
"only" the 2nd time it's happened since we installed the machine about
2 months ago (The first time it happened we were running a pre-2.2.7
SNAP).

The machine is at a remote location. So someone needs to drive down
there to check out the console and reboot it. We haven't been able to
reboot it yet after today's lock-up, but the last time this happened
fsck wasn't able to fix one of the drives, and we just re-installed
the OS from scratch.

The first time the machine froze during a "make world". Today it froze
while I was running cvsup to update the ports tree.

Any ideas? Are there any known problems with the DPT driver? (Let me
know if there's some other information that I should try to get that
would help to diagnose the problem.)

Thanks very much for any help,
Pius