Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:55:17 -0500
From:      "Jean-Paul Natola" <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
To:        "Geoff Fritz" <gfritz@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: newsletter APP NOT listserve

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Fritz [mailto:gfritz@gmail.com]=20
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 11:26 AM
To: Jean-Paul Natola
Cc: questions@FreeBSD.org

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:31:56AM -0500, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a newsletter application , preferably where I can =
just
> have an ordinary user login via a webpage , upload a file/message/ and
click
> send?
>=20
> I was playing with mailman , but that seems to be a list serve app.

I've been using phplist for a couple of years on a client's site.  It =
has
click stats, a decent web interface, relatively easy to get up and =
running,
and the performance is pretty good.

It is a little top-heavy, though, since it requires apache/php/mysql.
However, after enabling mysql query caching and adding eaccelerator into
the mix, it runs fairly well.  My last send clocked in at 47k messages =
per
hour on a 2.8GHz dual-core Pentium-D, using postfix as the local MTA.

I like the fact that it will automatically prune the list membership =
after
a user-configurable number of bounces.  Filter the bounce catcher =
account,
though, as spam will make your DB grow to insane sizes and bog it down.

It's not the best package in the world, but it's the only comperable
open source package that I know of.  I hope to hear of alternatives in
this thread.
_---------------------------------------------------------------------
Well the server I plan to run it a VPS server, so I REALLY DON'T know =
what
the specs are on the box- and since it's not dedicated I have no clue =
what
else or what other sites are on it- I do know it has exim installed =
which I
am very familiar with and actually use- I know it has MySql on it as =
well it
a red hat 9 os if im not mistaken and I've never used apache or php, =
what's
the learning curve like to get that running?