Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2008 00:12:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Steve Franks <stevefranks@ieee.org>
Subject:   Re: any supported NTSC-output cards?

> I'm just curious.  My friend set up one of those TIVO clones with
> the 'ol freebsd server to the TV would be kind of nifty in the bling

add secondary PCI card (anything will suffice)+converter, and set up
TV-compatible mode in your Xorg.conf

this will give you actual TV output with right resolution and refresh
rate, not some crappy on-the-fly conversion of your VGA framebuffer done by cards with TV-out.

see this:

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

it's for windoze but with that data you should be able to make custom XOrg
mode mathing your TV. it's for PAL, you will for sure find the right
data for NTSC standard.