Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:50:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: statd/lockd startup failure

> >> Can you please describe the scenario when it's completely
> >> impossible to
> >> find a port that's open on all 4 families?
> > i did not say impossible, concidering that Rick asked how many times
> > he
> > should try, unless N is forever, it could fail.
>
> And what I'm asking is that you describe the circumstances which might
> lead to that failure.

> >> Given that Rick has already written the patch, I don't think it's
> >> at all
> >> unreasonable to put it in as the first choice, perhaps with a
> >> fallback
> >> to picking any available port if there isn't one available for all
> >> 4
> >> families.
> >>
> > as Rick mentioned, the patch is not trivial, and to quote him:
> >   "My only concern with the "same port# patch" is that it is more
> >   complex
> >    and, therefore, somewhat riskier w.r.t. my having gotten it
> >    wrong."
>
> Yeah, I saw that, did you see my response? I'm very much in favor of
> keeping things simple, but only as simple as they can be made.

[some good stuff snipped for brevity]
Ok, well I believe that the patches I currently have aren't broken.

How about I change the patches so that after N attempts fail, it does
a final attempt allowing different port#s for the 4 cases. (If that
fails, I don't think there is anything that can be done, since it
means that no port# is available for at least one of the four cases?)

Does that sound reasonable? rick
ps: I was thinking N should be somewhere in the 10<->100 range. Anyone
    want to suggest a value for N?