Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 19:07:39 -0400
From:      Rod Person <roddierod@yahoo.com>
To:        fabio.f@gmx.de
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Applications

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:34:21 +0200 (MEST)
fabio.f@gmx.de wrote:

> 1. Where do I know how to start the applications a have installed. For
> example what is the command for the game Clanbomber and where is the
> info. In SuSE Linux ther was the "Suse Helpsystem" with the package
> description for the Browser where you can find these infos. But on
> FreeBSD?

/var/db/pkg/ contains all the apps that you hve installed on your system.
In the individual dir for the apps is a content file that contains what
was installed and where for the app. For information on the apps either:
	man "app_name" or info "app_name"
this will give you the manual pages or info pages installed for that app.
If you need a GUI interface try installing TKman and TKinfo, there may be
other such as gnome manual browser or kdes but that requires you to
install either of those to desktops.

>2. Allways the 4th CD on both versions makes often trouble
> while installing the packages via /stand/sysinstall. "Can't install
> package xxx" . X86free 3.3.6.10 not found as a dependency. Why is that?

perhaps you don't have X86Free 3.3.6.10 installed? Maybe you have 4.x.
There are ways to correct this but off the top of my head I can't give you
the correct steps so I will defer to someone else on that, it been so time
since I have done that.

> 3.I have a notebook Fujitsu A Lightline 3200. Linux told me there is an
> ESS Soundcard and configured it via SAX2. But how on FreeBSD. I have
> tried the entries "pcm" and "sbc" in the GENERIC kerner and recompiled
> it. But nothing happened. Then I tried "pcm" and "sbc at isa? port 220
> irq 5 drq 1 flag 0x15. But nothing happens. What do I have : ISA, PCI,
> PnP or non PnP? Thank you,

not sure I believe there is something different to do for ESS cards but I
don't have one, I have seen lots of posting on those cards though. You may
want to search the google groups for that.

Rod
roddierod@yahoo.com
http://geocities.com/roddierod/osbeef.htm
"I'm a character in a world gone wrong!"
	- Entombed - Returning to Madness