Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:25:31 -0400
From:      Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup failure

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 10:20:18AM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

> Joshua Coombs wrote:
> > cyrix-dlc# cvsup -L2 /etc/ports-supfile && portsdb -Uu
> > Parsing supfile "/etc/ports-supfile"
> > Connecting to cvsup7.FreeBSD.org
> > Connected to cvsup7.FreeBSD.org
> > Server software version: SNAP_16_1e
> > Negotiating file attribute support
> > Exchanging collection information
> > Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
> > Running
> > Updating collection ports-all/cvs
> > TreeList failed: Error in "/usr/sup/ports-all/checkouts.cvs:.": 49575:
> > File is not sorted properly.  Delete it and try again.
>
> Did you do what it told you do to, i.e., delete checkouts.cvs: and try
> again.
>
> Kent

I did, and it's working.  My main beef however is that is a pretty nasty
way to handle the error.  CVSup should not puke debug info and then core
when a datafile has errors that it can detect.  It should be handled
gracefully, alert the user to the error, either offer to correct the issue
(delete the file or invalid entry) or gracefully exit at that point.

Joshua Coombs