Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:47:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        Dragon Fire <dragonfire820@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minimal System

Although this is somewhat of a black art, there are some easy ways to pare
down a system.  Here is a line of shell code that may help you:

for f in `find / | grep ppp` ; do rm -rf $f ; done

(you must be in /bin/sh for this to work)

This line removes all files relating to ppp.  You could put other strings
like msdos, isdn, plip, etc.

Obviously you should be careful - don't use the string 'nfs', since any
file with the string 'confs' will also be deleted.  However, once you nail
down some functionality that you definitely won't be using (linux, msdos,
ppp, slip, plip, readme, README, etc.) you can easily rip them out with
this.

Remember that just because you did not purposefully install items related
to isdn, ppp, etc., does not mean there are not a lot of files in a newly
loaded system related to those items.

-----
John Kozubik - john@kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com