Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:59:34 -0700
From:      Shawn O'Connor <soconnor@falconknight.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mdconfig using malloc()

Guys,

I'm trying to do the following:

mdconfig -a -t malloc -o reserve -s 2g

Which fails saying it can't:

  mdconfig: ioctl(/dev/mdctl): Cannot allocate memory

I saw some old post advocated using -t swap instead, saying that swap
probably wouldn't be used until real memory was consumed. But, on my
6.2 machine that immediately raises the swap usage to 2GB and does
use disk instead of RAM when I test using it.

Is there any way I can get 2GB of physical memory actually allocated?

As a last resort, would upgrading to -CURRENT get this to work?

Many thanks!

	-Shawn