Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 09:29:14 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Rolf Edwards <redwards@meccamediagroup.com>
Cc:        doug@polands.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disklabel with 5 or 6 scsi drives

On Tuesday,  8 May 2001 at  8:59:04 -0600, Rolf Edwards wrote:
> I have been attempting to use vinum with 6 scsi drives, and have
> been unable to disklabel the 5 (da4) and 6 (da5) drives.
>
> I can create the partitions as freebsd type, but they do not show up in
> disklabel, only c is shown.  The freebsd partitions mounted just fine.  I
> attempted to save the disklabels as a temp file, edit them and use a
> disklabel -R to write them back.  It did not work, as the operation was not
> permitted.
>
> I removed some of the drives and was able to edit the disklabel, and things
> looked good, but when the other drives were re-attached, the label didn't
> show the e partition anymore.  What is going on?

Who knows?  You haven't shown the output you got.  But I'd guess you
don't have device nodes for the drives.  You also haven't said whether
you're using the compatibility partition or a slice.  You should check
for /dev/da5e and /dev/da5s1e (depending) and create them with MAKEDEV
if you don't already have them.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.