Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 08:05:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw problems ...

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Krzysztof Zaraska wrote:

> First, is there any specific reason for allowing only specific 900 subnets
> instead of the whole 'cost nothing' network? How big is this network? How
> would this increase the risk?

CA*Net3 vs "commercial net" traffic ...

> Second, with that number of networks, it is probable that at least some of
> them have the same prefix; for example
> 10.10.0.0/16
> 10.11.0.0/16
> can be matched with 10.10.0.0/15. This may bring down the number of rules.
> Continuing from previous point, if all class B networks are on the same
> network block (having, say 1024 class B networks) you may allow whole
> block and disallow only 124 subnets. That would bring the number of
> relevant rules down to 125.

Actually, I've already done that :(  Some areas, I've been able to get her
down to /12 ... so imagine the number of rules if I *hadn't* done that ...

> Third, take into account that since ipfw takes 'first matching rule
> wins' approach, you will get performance boost by moving more
> frequently used and more general rules "up" in the ruleset. For
> example, if you move the rule from position 700 to 200 packet will be
> matched only against 200 rules instead of 700.

Thought about, but not possible ... unless I'm mis-understanding something
... these rules are the exceptions ... "if none of these b-class networks
isn't matched, *then* shape the bandwidth for anything not in there" ...

Is there someway of creating a 'group', similar to /etc/networks, where
its one rule with many addresses in it?

> Fourth, if you have any "keep-state" rules, each of them effectively
> generates new "dynamic" rules. In order to improve performance with
> TCP connections you may try to switch to TCP flag-based approach
> (keywords "setup" and "established"). This will save you from
> additional growth of ruleset, but may open you to the TCP ACK scan (I
> haven't verified it) which exposes inside network topology.

Not using any 'keep-state' rules ...