Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:13:34 -0500
From:      David Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>, Mark Lovretovich <mark@cnmnetwork.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape/Linux on FreeBSD an other horrors ...

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, O. Hartmann wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Mark Lovretovich wrote:
> Well ... this is amusing me ...
> Which mozilla? :-))))
> Well, the one type of "mozilla" I have already, the daily horror ... :->>
>
> Oliver
> :>You might have to wait for mozilla ;)
> :>
> :>-Mark Lovretovich
> :>
> :>"O. Hartmann" wrote:
> :>
> :>> Well ... We use FreeBSD for about 5 years on our boxes and throughout today it has
> :>> been never fixed that Netscape crashes all the day! It is not only a problem of "one"
> :>> port, either the Linux port (why using Linux port? I have a BSD operating system, a
> :>> UNIX, not a nasty Linux!!!), or BSDI port - all the day the same, on all machines:
> :>> crashing, crashing! I now, this type of error reporting is not of what could be helped on,
> :>> but the diagnostics are always the same. SIG 11, SIG 10. On different machines, different
> :>> installations and the likelyhood of commiting everywhere the same mistake is very small ...
> :>>
> :>> PLease, if there is someone out here who knows whether OPERA is avaialable for FBSD as SOURCE
> :>> code for complete recompilation or another stable, well runnig webbrowser, please tell us ...
> :>>
> :>> Thanks a lot ...
> :>>
> :>> Gruss O. Hartmann
> :>> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> :>> ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de
> :>>
> :>> Klimadatenserver des IPA, Universitaet Mainz
> :>> Netzwerk- und Systembetreuung
> :>>
> :>> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
> :>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message
> :>
> :>
>
> Gruss O. Hartmann
> ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de
>
> Klimadatenserver des IPA, Universitaet Mainz
> Netzwerk- und Systembetreuung

So turn off Java-scripting, visit http://www.netscape.com/ and they will point
you to their download site.  Select Netscape for FreeBSD and download it.
Before installing, check in /usr/local/netscape for the name of the binary.
I'm running Linux right now and do not remember exactly, but I think you have
to rename 'netscape' to 'communicator-something' to make the wrappers work.
Install the XFree86 a.out libs if you have not done so already.  Keep
java-scripting turned off and your Netscape installation will be stable.
Allowing strangers to execute arbitrary java-script code on your machine is,
IMHO, not very security-conscious, anyway.

Dave