Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:52:10 -0500
From:      "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@eagle.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading just bind

>Because... the binaries, the config files and maybe some other stuff (?)
end
>up in the wrong place. The binaries go into /usr/local/sbin instead of
>/usr/sbin and look for config files in /usr/local/etc.

 Yuck. Kinda makes me curious as to what advantage the "ports" provide at
times.

 You know?

 Scenario 1: go into the bind91 port, make, make install. done.
 versus
 Scenario 2: updating the source tree, checking /etc/make.conf, delete
/usr/obj, make buildworld, make buildkernel, go to single user mode, make
installworld, mergemaster, makedev all, updating sysinstall, reboot.

 Not to mention you're taken from your current version of FreeBSD into a
new, and possibly somewhat unstable version.

 Guess I have some work ahead of me! ;-)

-me