Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:36:51 +0200
From:      Lars Koeller <lkoeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Timezone

In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.960930113248.1843E-100000@sdev.blaze.net.au>,
David Nugent writes:

>Here's a curley one.
>
>Currently, my FreeBSD system runs without timezones, since the
>CMOS clock is local time. This seems to work fine in most
>respects (internally) until we start interacting with the outside
>world. For example, the timezone on this email is probably +0000,
>which is incorrect. And another effect is that a network
>date/time ntp corrector I went to install today is also the
>expected 10 hours wrong.
>
>Yes, I know how to install the correct timzone (just create the
>link). But the problem is that since FreeBSD isn't the only OS I
>run, I don't really want to have to change the CMOS time every
>time I change operating systems where the CMOS is expected to be
>local time.
>
>Is there a happy medium? Linux, for example, had no problem with
>this.
>
>I'm running FreeBSD-(almost)-current, if that helps.
>
>Regards,
>David

   Hi!

   What about creation of the file /etc/wall_cmos_clock and you can use all
   the timezones as usual.

   Lars

Lars Köller                  Phone:  +49 381/498-1665, Fax: -1667
University of Rostock        E-Mail:
Department of Physics          Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE
Universitätsplatz 3          Anonymous ftp:
D-18051 Rostock (Germany)      ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de/pub