Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:22:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Update to patch(1)

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > * system() is insecure - there's no point in making all the string
> > > operations buffer-safe if you go and pass a user string to system() :-)
> >
> >   I can only assume that the original OpenBSD patches were more for
> > consistency's sake. It can't hurt, though. :)
>
> Well, there's more to auditing than just making things buffer-safe,
> although sometimes the other problems are overlooked. I can only assume
> that happened here..

  No problem. How does a fork/exec combo sound to you, instead. That way it
never gets to the shell. I don't see any other alternative.

> >   Hmm. That is a good point and an interesting dilemma: without making some
> > fairly intruisive changes I can't use mkstemp() + unlink(). So which is the
> > lesser evil: the existing use of mktemp or risking leaving tempfiles with
> > mkstemp()?
>
> Could you do something evil like making a global variable for the file
> descriptor so you don't have to pass it around through function calls?

  Yeah, that fell into my definition of intrusive (a number of functions take
pathnames as arguments which will have to go awayor be replaced with
descriptor arguments). Frankly, that is fine with me, I was more concerned
that someone might object to making such major modifications to a
contrib'ed source (albeit only technically contrib'ed). But if there is no
objection, I'll take the axe to it. :)

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Belmont, CA