Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:26:19 +1000
From:      "Andrew Johns" <ajohns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@rush.net>, "Brian Gallucci" <noc@expnet.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Firewall Rules

No, no, no - do NOT follow the previous example as you will be
disconected and you'll need console access to recover!!!  See below for
reasons...

From the ipfw man page:
 -q    While adding, zeroing or flushing, be quiet about actions
(implies
       '-f').  This is useful for adjusting rules by executing multiple
       ipfw commands in a script (e.g. sh /etc/rc.firewall), or by pro-
       cessing a file of many ipfw rules, across a remote login session.

       If a flush is performed in normal (verbose) mode (with the
default
       kernel configuration), it prints a message.  Because all rules
are
       flushed, the message cannot be delivered to the login session,
the
       login session is closed and the remainder of the ruleset is not
       processed.  Access to the console is required to recover.

Alfred, you were very close, but without the -q yoou'll need to get to
the console to recover as the second command will be lucky if it gets
run...

try:

ipfw -q flush ; sh /etc/rc.firewall

instead. Note that -q implies -f