Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2014 23:36:57 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Neel Natu <neelnatu@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bhyve failure

On 11/28/14, 3:12 AM, Neel Natu wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> I added WITNESS to a kernel I've been running and during boot I got this
>> result:
>>
>> vm exit[0]
>>          reason          VMX
>>          rip             0xffffffff8078c1a7
>>          inst_length     7
>>          status          0
>>          exit_reason     2
> That's a triple fault (from sys/amd64/vmm/intel/vmcs.h)
>
> #define EXIT_REASON_TRIPLE_FAULT        2
>

>>          qualification   0x0000000000000000
>>          inst_type               0
>>          inst_error              0
>> Abort trap (core dumped)
>>
>> anyone have a decoder ring?
>>
> A few questions to narrow this down:
>
> Did you add WITNESS to the guest kernel or the host kernel when this happened?
yes I added it to the guest kernel.. I suspect it ay be related to
this, especially since there was a kernel module loaded that was not
recompiled.
I'm trying to ascertain now whether a withness kernel requires special
handling for its modules.

> Is this readily reproducible?
don't know yet.

> Can you share the host and guest revision numbers?

guest is custom sources based on stable-10 on the same day as 10.0 was
released.basically whatever svn revision# was on 10.0 but on the
stable branch.
host is
FreeBSD 10.1-BETA1 #0 r271671: Tue Sep 16 09:31:23 PDT 2014