Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:45:52 +0800
From:      sam wun <sam.wun@authtec.com>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DIOCCHANGERULE may be used in PF?

Max Laier wrote:

>On Sunday 19 December 2004 05:54, sam wun wrote:
>

>>I m not sure whether ssp_pf.c file should use DIOCADDADDR instead of
>>DIOCCHANGERULE.

Sorry for the typos, I mean DIOCADDRULE.

>ssp_pf.c ?!?

Sorry to publish this file. This is a specific file in a plugin program
I used. It currently having few problem, I m tring to fix it.

>>As I looked into authpf.c file in function add_pool(), authpf only use
>>DIOCADDADDR for adding new rule to PF.
>>

>DIOCADDADDR does *not* add a rule. DIOCADDRULE does that (and a subsequent
>DIOCCOMMITRULES).

Yeah, I need to change it to DIOCADDRULE, a mistake when I did a copy
and paste.
And I forgot the use of DIOCCOMMITRULES. Does DIOCCOMMITRULES get
invoked each time when calling DIOCADDRULE?

>>I also want to find out where does DIOCCHANGERULE used in PF, but
>>nothing is found except in the man page:
>># cd src/contrib/pf
>># grep -r DIOCCHANGERULE *
>>man/pf.4:for subsequent DIOCADDADDR, DIOCADDRULE and DIOCCHANGERULE calls.
>>man/pf.4:DIOCADDRULE or DIOCCHANGERULE call.
>>man/pf.4:.It Dv DIOCCHANGERULE  Fa "struct pfioc_rule"
>>
>>DIOCCHANGERULE may not be used. If I want to add new rule in PF, I may
>>be need to use DIOCADDADDR rather than DIOCCHANGERULE.
>>
>>Any comment?
>>

>erm? I am having a hard time understanding what you mean.

You may be  have understood more about my question now. Sorry for the
typos again.

>DIOCCHANGERULE works and may be used, but it is not easy to use. It is much
>easier to have an anchor and add new rules into that anchor as a complete
>ruleset. This is how it's done in authpf and spamd. Otherwise you have to
>keep track of to many things. Non of the default pf tools uses DIOCCHANGERULE
>as it is not convenient to change rules. As rulesets can be committed
>atomically it's much easier to replace a ruleset completely or to use
>anchors.

This may be the problem with the original ssp_pf.c file, it used
DIOCCHANGERULE thru out the entire operational of adding rules.
As you said, I will need to use DIOCADDRULE and DIOCCOMMITERULES for
adding new rules to PF.

>Anchors is the way to go most of the time. Look at authpf(8) for details.

Yeah, I found this is a very good reference to look at.

Thanks
Sam