Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:48:40 -0500
From:      "Aaron P. Martinez" <ml@proficuous.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ltdl library problems

I am trying to compile a program called gyachi on my freebsd 6.1 machine
and am having a ton of problems.  I consulted the gyachi forums but most
people there are running on one flavor of linux or another, nobody has
it on freebsd that i can tell, so now i am turning here.

at first my configure would stop at alsa, even though i have the
linux-compatible alsa programs, so then i used the --with-esd switch and
now i'm getting stopped with the following error:

checking for lt_dlopen in -lltdl... no
configure: error: cannot find ltdl library

I have libtool installed and and under /usr/local/lib i have:

libltdl.a libltdl.la libltdl.so libltdl.so.4

I tried using the --with-libintl-prefix switch like so:

./configure --enable-esd --with-gnu-ld --with-libintl-prefix=/usr/local

it's still not finding it, same error again.

I looked in the readme for libltdl and here is what it says:
/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl]# less README
This is GNU libltdl, a system independent dlopen wrapper for GNU libtool.

It supports the following dlopen interfaces:
* dlopen (Solaris, Linux and various BSD flavors)
* shl_load (HP-UX)
* LoadLibrary (Win16 and Win32)
* load_add_on (BeOS)
* GNU DLD (emulates dynamic linking for static libraries)
* dyld (darwin/Mac OS X)
* libtool's dlpreopen

Just one other note, like the fedora guys that got their's working by
linking /usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/ltdl.h to /usr/include this
does not fix the problem on my system. i get the exact same error.

checking for lt_dlopen in -lltdl... no
configure: error: cannot find ltdl library

I'd really like to get this working if possible (and i'm sure it is) all
help would be appreciated. I can submit my config.log if that would help.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron