Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 1999 10:39:02 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Time sync

I've been messing with this for a couple days and have read the man
pages for xntpd, ntpdate, timed, etc. to no avail.

Here's what I want to do...

I have a 486/66 running FreeBSD 2.2.8 acting as an Internet gateway for
my home network.

The Internet connection is "dial-on-demand" thru a 56K modem.

I want to know the "best" method to use to sync my 486 box via the
Internet, and I want it to act as a time server to my local machines.
I have been using ntpdate manually on occasion to sync time from
otc1.psu.edu.  But I don't know how to make the box a time server for
my local net.  I've tried xntpd, but then it takes the port and
prevents ntpdate from running.  And I still couldn't get it to serve
time to a local FreeBSD box running 3.2.

This is just a home network and time isn't critical, but I want to sync
time from the Net, maybe once a day or once a week, but serve time to
local machines any time they request it.

help...

cc me please, I unsubscribed from the list due to heavy traffic.

Steve Friedrich

Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions
and
        a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit
        company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.