Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:43:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Peter B <pb@ludd.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bt878 & whitenoise (some observations..)

>Nicholas, just to clarify the deal with the cmi8738 and the clock rate.  The
>problem only manifests itself when setting the clock rate to 44.1kHz.  The
>maximum observed delta is 3%.  There is no problem setting other rates.  It
>would depend on how an application dealt with the excess on whether you'd hear

Sounds similar to an issue with the ESS1868 soundcards (A flag fixed it).

.
.

>The problem Peter is describing may or may not be due to some analog
phenomenon and might be curable by setting all unimportant audio controls to 0
in the mixer.

It's won't help to alter the mixer settings at all.
The effect of switching channels using fxtv + xawtv-3.76/record can be listened
to here:  http://wave.campus.luth.se/~pb/tmp/chanscan.wav      (14 MB)

>As described the problem not resemble an audio s/w or h/w
problem, ie noise on all recordings or on noise on some and not other
recordings would point to audio problem.  Since the problem as described
repeatable on certain channels, it looks more likely that the problem is
analog or lies with the tuner, tuner driver, or tuner s/w.

I must first point out that the stereo which is connected to the lineout of
the soundcards mixer. At no time suffers from the whitenoise problem. Thus the
problem should be entirely with the a7v333 (cmi8738) soundcard.

It might be that the tuner driver writes settings wich affect the settings of
the cmi8738 (iow bug). Althought I have hard to believe that. The freeze bug
mentioned earlier might however point in this direction.

Anyway the test now confirms that like the previous poster asked. The fenomen
is not intermittent. It's always there. However I have memories of the problem
going away at times, with no reasonable explanation.

One solution could be to write the driver for the onboard dsp. And hope it's
not affected this way.

       /P