Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 19:44:24 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
To:        David Nixon <david.nixon@mantech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, chad@mantech.com
Subject:   Re: Attachments request -OOOOOPS

--eAbsdosE1cNLO4uF

David Nixon had the audacity to say:
>=20
> Oh, a pissing contest.
>=20

indeed.

Well, Mr. Nixon, thanks to vi+par, in two keystrokes, I managed to
reformat all of your hideos paragraphs and keep the quoting. How do you
like that, eh? You see, the long line of text typically gets wrapped
around the quoting ( or are you used to the nice little solid line and
indentation that Netscape or Outlook place the quotation in?) properly!

> Inserting hard carriage returns at every 80 characters (right hand
> margin) is neither a standard nor a requirement. Please be kind
> enough to point me and the rest of this mailing list to a FAQ or
> an RFC that specifies that carriage returns MUST be used. That way
> the Mailing List Police can directly quote the text to those of us
> "nonconformists".

It's a rather unspoken rule that has been followed by everyone up until
the new gaggle of HTML emailers that obviously don't give a rats ass
what your mail looks like under and other mailer. It's kind of like
turning off the bold colon in IRC.

> wrapmargin=3D0 I am sure you have seen this in your .exrc file. Be kind
> enough to explain to me why vi has set as a default NOT to insert
> carriage returns at the right margin. We can then deduce form your tag
> quote that Microsoft has somehow taken over vi and force upon them a
> dreaded and feared Microsoft standard.

Well, since you are obviously full of shit, vi doesn't auto wrap because
that was how it was designed to run on the old VT's. Older versions of
vi didn't have things like large multi-line displays and such. Auto word
wrap was neither a concern or a help back then, it would have messed up
the output on some of those old terminals.

> And while I have already mentioned Microsoft standard!?!?!? Try
> Palm Pilot, GroupWise (Novell) e-mail server, GroupWise Web e-mail
> interface and GroupWise client (local and remote). Isn't it amazing
> what you can get to run on a BSD box. With Novell opening up their NDS
> it will only get better. We could be seeing NDS for BSD real soon.
> There is already E-directory (NDS lite) for Linux.

I really don't get why you put this here, unless you are expecting
to get some sort of reward for pitching this to us. I never really
considered using Novell NDS, and don't really see the point in using
it, or E-directory for that matter, under a unix system except to work
with Novell software. If I set up a network, I'd probably replace Novell
boxen with FreeBSD workstations/servers. If they really, really wanted
some sort of mountable connectivity and authentication for their Windows
(ugh!) boxes, then I would probably put samba on there. Problem with
Novell is that they want you to take all these expensive classes to be
"qualified" to work on their software. In high school, we had two CNA's
who had no concept of what the internet really was, the existence of
unix, or that a PC could even run something other than Windows. One
of them, who kicked me out of her computer for being a "dirty hacker"
because I opened MS Word from the start menu rather than the icon on the
desktop, told me that DOS was in the computer's system. I laughed at her
and walked away. Because of this, I have considered the CNA to be a monkey
certificate, and don't really trust anything novell makes based on the fact=
 that
they certify morons for their software.

--
--cokane

> David A. Nixon Network Security Engineer ManTech International Corp.
> www.ManTech.com

--eAbsdosE1cNLO4uF

--eAbsdosE1cNLO4uF--