Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:49:32 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   do we need full kernel sources to compile loadable modules ?

Plain and simple... I thought one could compile a kernel extension
(foo.ko) without full kernel sources, as the various include files
describing kernel interfaces and data structures are installed in
various places under /usr/include .
This seems to work fine in many cases.

Turns out, however, that at least one thing (namely vnode_if.h) is not
there, and it needs to be reconstructed using sys/kern/vnode_if.{pl,src}

So i wonder:

 + is it a desirable goal that one can compile kernel extensions without
   requiring a full kernel source tree ?

 + if so, shouldn't we make sure that, as part of the creation of
   /usr/include, a copy of vnode_if.h is generated somewhere (maybe
   in /usr/include/sys or wherever is more appropriate) ?

 + are there other header files (and maybe objects, e.g. there is also
   a vnode_if.o) which have similar problems ?

	cheers
	luigi