Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:13:05 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <hostname>.wizard

Quoting Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>:
 [000906 03:00]:
Dan Nelson>In the last episode (Sep 05), Raymond Hicks said:
Dan Nelson>> Cheers,
Dan Nelson>>   can anyone tell me what this entry when I do netstat does..  what are
Dan Nelson>> these entries?
Dan Nelson>>   <hostname>.wizard or
Dan Nelson>>   <hostname>.2003
Dan Nelson>>   <hostname>.callbook
Dan Nelson>>   <hostname>.globe
Dan Nelson>
Dan Nelson>I'm betting that is not the only thing on the line when you run
Dan Nelson>netstat, right?  You forgot to list what's in the "Remote address"
Dan Nelson>column?  Those are most likely just the local end of a telnet or ftp
Dan Nelson>session you are making to a remote host.
Dan Nelson>
Dan Nelson>> 2)
Dan Nelson>>   how do I block my box from allowing access from certain IP addresses?
Dan Nelson>> should I add a hosts.deny file in /etc?  Does FreeBSD recognize this
Dan Nelson>> convention?  I am running 3.4 on intel 233...  this is pertaining to
Dan Nelson>> Portsentry...  it by default wants to add to hosts.deny and there is not a
Dan Nelson>> hosts.deny file there so I created one and it still allows you to connect
Dan Nelson>> from blocked addresses..??

From 3.4 there is only hosts.allow and that is where all the rules are
supposed to be. Look at the format closely, it details how to do what you
wanna do..it is like this,

daemon_name : friendly_hosts_or_ips : allow
daemon_name : ALL : deny

If the daemon is the telnetd, then it would be like this,

telnetd : w.x.y.x 1.2.3.4 : allow
telnetd : ALL : deny

Also man hosts_options

-wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator

I waited and waited, and when no message came, I knew it must have been from
you. -Ashleigh Brilliant
(contributed by Chris Johnston)