Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:23:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.x backdoor rootshell security hole

:>
:> Hmm. Shouldn't we protect the contents of /boot with the schg flag?
:
:Ideally some of the directories themselves, as well as /boot, parts of
:/etc large parts of /sbin and /bin (including sh, as that gets run in
:single-user mode)...  My feeling is we should maintain a list, but not
:ship that way as it would be irritating for most of the world.  At one
:point I had a script that did some of the work, but currently due to file
:layout and the way we do config files, you end up with a fairly hobbled
:machine.  Which is, of course, the idea. :-)  I think security(8) (?)
:discusses a fair amount of this stuff.
:
:  Robert N M Watson
:
:robert@fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/

    Anyone serious enough and paranoid enough simply mounts / and /usr
    read-only, then bumps the security level up.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>