Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 2009 03:08:48 +0100
From:      Rolf G Nielsen <lazlar@lazlarlyricon.com>
To:        dandee@hellteam.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setlocale command is missing

Daniel Dvo=C5=99=C3=A1k wrote:
> Hi,
> =20
> I updated a mc port to the last one, version 4.7.0pre4 and wanted to ru=
n mc, but mc display a warning message that the selected display charset =
or source codeset does not match one set via locale. I have never seen th=
is message since I am a user of mc. Propably it is something new in this =
new version. The version 4.6.2 does not show you this message durring sta=
rting application.
> =20
> I wanted to set my locale, but I found out that command setlocale is mi=
ssing on FreeBSD 7.2.
> =20
> Files in directory /etc:
> =20
> login.conf, login.conf.db, csh.login and profile are set as HANDBOOK re=
commends for language localization.
> =20
> My shells are bash, tcsh or zsh, csh for root user. The results are the=
 same.
> =20
> bash:
> [user@server ~]$ LC_ALL=3DISO-8859-2; export LC_ALL
> -bash: varov=C3=A1n=C3=AD: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (ISO=
-8859-2): No such file or directory
> =20
> zsh:
> server% setlocale LC_ALL ISO-8859-2
> zsh: command not found: setlocale
>=20
> tcsh:
>> setlocale LC_ALL ISO-8859-2
> setlocale: Command not found.
>=20
> root csh:
> server# setlocale LC_ALL ISO-8859-2
> setlocale: Command not found.
>=20
> So my simple question is why is setlocale command missing in FreeBSD 7.=
2 ? And if user could not use locale and setlocale commands like on Linux=
, how can I solve my problem with new version of MC ?
> =20
> The mc message:
> =20
> Confirmation
> =20
> Chosen display charset (Settings->Display bits) or source codeset (in m=
cedit ctrl-t) does not match one set via locale. Set correct codeset manu=
ally or press <<Fix it>> to set locale default.
> =20
> Or set 'don' task again' and press <<Skip>>
> =20
> [ ] don't ask again
> =20
> [< Fix it >]                                   [ Skip ]
> =20
> BTW in mc there is not any settings with display bits, there is only op=
tions menu with display bits. Wrong help dialogs ?
> =20
> Thank you
> =20
> Daniel
> =20
> =20
=2Eorg"
>=20
>=20
>=20

ls -ld /usr/share/locale/*8859-2 for a list of ISO8859-2 locales. Use=20
the complete name, e.g. cs_CZ.ISO8859-2.

To set the above locale in sh and work-alikes use
LC_ALL=3Dcs_CZ.ISO8859-2; export LC_ALL
(the syntax you tried, but your locale spec was wrong, and that's why it =

protested).

To set the above locale in csh and work-alikes use
setenv LC_ALL cs_CZ.ISO8859-2