Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:29:59 +0200
From:      Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort@brutele.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panics in boot phase

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 06:39:44AM +0200, Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, my workstation started to panic very often on boot, and only
> on boot. I didn't note down the messages, but the kernel always whines
> about vm pages not being present, or hash lookups not successfull.
>
> It always happens at some point shortly after having mounted the
> various filesystems.
>
> I am used to make world often, my system is the following:
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD jsite.lefort.net 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #1: Wed Apr 17 08:38:42 CEST 2002     jylefort@jsite.lefort.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/JSITE  i386
>
> I do not retain my CPU or RAM as being the problem, since I never had
> any panic on this hardware before, and it runs FreeBSD since 4.4-RELEASE.
> Moreover, if it boots successfully, then it works fine; make buildworld
> and make buildkernel are always successfull.
>
> The problems started in April; my gateway, running
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD gateway.lefort.net 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Sat Mar 16 00:56:12 CET 2002     jylefort@gateway.lefort.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GATEWAY  i386
>
> never paniqued; however, I rebooted it only once since the 16 March, date
> of its last make world.
>
> My FreeBSD system is now, in boot phase, as stable as the crappiest
> windoze box. Any enlightenment will be appreciated (eg. am I the only one
> to endure this, or -STABLE became a lil' bit bogus since a few weeks?)

I tested more intensively, by booting the system 5 times in a row:

--- try #1 -------------------------------------------------------------------
Mounting NFS file systems: .

fault virtual address   = 0x103
fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc023b308
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xcb2a1e64
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xcb2a1e68
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 111 (chflags)
interrupt mask          = net bio cam
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

--- try #2 -------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting standard daemons: inetd cron printer sendmail

syncing disks... panic: softdep_deallocate_dependencies: dangling deps

Tries #3 and #4 were successfull.

Doing initial network setup: hostname.
panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: c4f25000

As you can see, my system panics ~ 3 times out of 5 at boottime; I might
suspect a hard disk problem, previewing a huge disk crash.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Jean-Yves Lefort

--