Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 17:01:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   preventing SMTP Relaying, but having moving customers?

    hello!

    i would like to have a couple of people access my mail server for
secure POP or IMAP access, but also want to prevent relaying on
sendmail (so i have relaying turned off right now).

    Now, the problem is, these people are accessing the server from
various machiens and various accounts, and it's well nigh impossible to
put their ip addresses or hostnames in /etc/mail/relay-domains.

    So, the question is, what means can I use to allow them to send
mail without opening myself up to relaying?

    - i've tried the popauth suggestion on sendmail.org with only
limited success (it's a mild PITA, and seemed unreliable, actually)

    - i can force them to always redirect their local ports on their
machines, but the hassle factor for them goes up quite a bit there,
which is also undesirable ...

    - many common mailers today suggest that there is a way to "log in"
to outgoing SMTP servers?  is this a way to get around this problem?
do any FreeBSD-happy mailers support such a thing?

    - might i best be served by ditching sendmail and trying something
else?

    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    thanks!

    marc.

Marc W, San Francisco, CA
Kiltdown -- a free email client for X