Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:11:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, the_hermit665@hotmail.com
Subject:   RE: basic info on freebsd needed...

>From: "Cosmic 665" <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>
>Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:00:23 PDT

>  I did the same thing and got Solaris7.  I think "It sucks".  The reason
>why I say solaris7 sucks is because it has less "Hardware support"
>(especially compared to FreeBSD).

I suppose that depends on perspective... and what hardware you're
talking about.

For home, I'm using Solaris 2.6 (server)... but that's on a
SPARCstation.  I never had any "PC" type hardware until a couple of
weeks ago at home, and I bought my first computer in '85.

>Also, Solaris take a *shit-load* of memory to run on a "Non-Commercial" OS.

Solaris 2.x is rather memory-intensive -- but a *lot* of popular
applications (Netscape Communicator, for example) tend towards rampant
resource-consumption, as well.

>you need at least a p166 with 48-64MB of ram to get some real use out of
>it.  I have solaris7, and it's gonna sit on my shelf next to BeOS 3.1 till
>the end of time :P  (Hell, even BeOS is better).

As usual, it depends on what you're doing with it.

(My SS5/Solaris 2.6, in addition to being the desktop I normally use,
also has an 8mm tape drive, as well as a 4mm drive with a 4-slot
autoloader, a scanner, most of the home disk storage, a SunVideo card,
a scanner, and the laser printer is hung off its parallel port.  In
addition to being the master internal nameserver, it is also the NIS
master, and also runs the PMconsole software to control the Livingston
(now Lucent) PortMaster 2, as well as being the "driver" system for the
home-grown backup script I use.  I tend to stay logged into it for
months at a time, as a matter of course.)

More on-topic for a FreeBSD list, though, the secondhand P-133 box I
picked up is getting nicely configured as a NAT/firewall box for the new
DSL connection.  I'm expecting to be able to offer secondary nameservice
(in exchange for reciprocation) shortly.

And probably more relevant, the box I put together for my wife is now to
a point where I think I can finally swap it into place (tonight), to
take the place of the Sun 3/60 that she had been using.  It's got an AMD
K6-2/400, 64 MB RAM, and a Matrox Millenium G400 video card -- she
wanted to be able to support a resolution of 1600x1200, which it does
quite handily, with a 32-bit color depth (using XFree86 3.3.4).
(1152x900x8 is usual on the Suns.)  If it starts swapping, I'll add 64
MB more memory.

I think she will like it.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915