Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:28:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joris Verboomen <joris.verboomen@glo.be>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Failing to install FreeBSD 2.2.2

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Joris Verboomen wrote:

> I have used FIPS to split up my existing DOS Primary Partition.  This gives me
> a 2 DOS Primary Partitions (2nd one being a clone of the first one).  I then
> deleted the 2nd DOS Primary Partition (as said in the doc).  If you look at
> this again with FIPS it says that there is freespace not covered by any
> partition.  In any case the installation procedure does not allow you to use
> this freespace, neither does it allow you to use the 2nd DOS Primary
> Partition.
>
> Basically, my question is the following.  When I am in the situation that I
> have 2 DOS Primary Partitions as above, what more steps do I have to perform
> to use this second partition and install FreeBSD on it ?

OKay, at this point use DOS FDISK and delete the second Primary DOS
partition.  I assume one partition has all your stuff on it and the other
is completely blank (that's how it's supposed to be at least :-) ).

Now go ahead and install FreeBSD.  In the FDISK Editor, you'll see some
space that is marked `unused' and is fairly large.  Select this partition
and hit `C' and create a FreeBSD slice that size.  Answer `yes' to the
question to make it in compatibility mode, then Quit FDISK.  In the
Disklabel editor, hit `A' to take the calculated defaults, then Quit.

>From there it should be fairly straightforward.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo