Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:03:00 -0500
From:      "Andre` Niel Cameron" <AndreC@Axxs.net>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "setantae" <setantae@submonkey.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

> [...]
> Microsoft).
>
> Similarly, and in the interest of equal time, I should point out that
anyone
> trying to configure NT/2000 to match UNIX for certain server and network
> applications is spitting into the wind ... it's an uphill and potentially
losing
> battle.  While NT/2000 can be made to work in this way (the underlying
kernel is
> certainly capable of it, largely because its design so much resembles that
of
> UNIX and other multiuser timesharing systems), it requires a lot more
resources
> to accomplish it, and the ergonomy is lacking.  But NT/2000 religious
devotees
> are just as dogged in their attempts to fit a square peg into a round hole
as
> are the followers of UNIX variants.
>
> > This is an overgeneralization; under FreeBSD
> > it's very rare for a window manager bug to
> > "take out the OS".  Even if the X server crashes
> > the system still runs.
>
> You'd think so.  But it worried me tremendously that, while simply trying
> change a font in KDE, the entire system crashed.  It should not be
possible for
> an application like a windows manager to crash the kernel.  The fact that
this
> was possible worries me because it casts a shadow on the security of the
> kernel--how could a user application manage to crash the system like that?
>
> I console myself by speculating that perhaps the window manager called
some
> kernel function or driver that faulted because of a configuration problem
or
> (most likely) an incompatibility with the display hardware.  Still not
very
> useful from a practical standpoint, but at least it would not make the OS
look
> as insecure.
>
> > In real terms, well-written and well-tested simple
> > window managers rarely have catastrophic bugs.
>
> Well, KDE is apparently neither simple nor well-written and well-tested,
because
> it crashed the system; and when it didn't crash the system, it froze or
did
> other weird things a lot.
>
> > I can't remember the last time I had problems
> > with windowmaker, for example.
>
> I'm not familiar with it.  The KDE experience has soured me on window
managers
> for UNIX for the moment.  I do just about everything from a command line
right
> now, anyway--I even surf with Lynx--so trying to clone Windows is not a
high
> priority.  Unlike many people here, it seems, I see FreeBSD as an
excellent
> server OS, and that's how I use it.  My desktop environment remains
Windows NT
> (and in fact most of my interaction with FreeBSD is via NT, as you'd
expect in a
> server/client environment).

I would like to say well said.  Personally I use Windows2k for most
"desktop" related services I have a freeBSD "desktop" to give a well rounded
experience as I like Star Office, KDE and Doom:)  I also have a FreeBSD
"Server"  I acctually tried running NT and win2k as servers and was
horrified by performance/stability/security.  My NT server got hacked in one
day, granted I had not applied the patches yet but still there should be
some security right out of the box!:)  NT/2k makes a good file server in a
internal Windows based network.  Other wise "Spitting in the wind" is just
about the right analisis!  This is the first time I have seen someone speak
like this, usually it is death to those who say windows in a *nix list.

Andre