Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:06:56 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        brian@mediacity.com
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P6 panics at same point

Hi,

> On a ASUS P65UP5 2xPP200 MB with 256MB RAM  I can start the
> second processory, but if I try to build apache from the ports,
> or most anything else complex I get:
>
> Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> stopped at _pmap_enter+0x85: movl 0(%ecx),%ecx
>
> It happens basically the same each time it happens.
>
> If I run the SMP kernel without starting the 2nd processor all
> goes well.

this is THE known current problem, affects everyone with P6 machines,
but doesn't occur on P5 machines.  Since Peter and I both have P5 machines
we haven't been able to directly address it.  We gotta do something soon,
but I'm not sure what.  I'm up to my eyeballs right now in 'real work',
so I haven't even been able to ponder it much.  Wish I could give you a better
answer.

Can anyone give a definitive summary of the problem and what we currently
know(think we know) about it?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD