Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 10:00:29 -0500
From:      "Nick Lozinsky" <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
To:        "Oi Yan" <oiyanca@yahoo.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dual boot

freebsd > boot manager (window working only)
> how do I recover freebsd boot manager and also have dual boot (freebsd and
> > win2000)
> Thank you

Hi,

This is quite easy, you can  use the Win2K boot manager. Depending on what
you specified in the setup, BootManager, MBR or NONE, if you did BootManager
and Windows is only booting, then you can go to a DOS prompt with a DOS boot
disk and fdisk and then select the NON-DOS partition or the FreeBSD
partition as bootable. Or you can set FreeBSD to be bootable from the Win2k
boot loader; once you get your FreeBSD to load, get a fresh floppy disk and
do this:

# dd if=/dev/"your FreeBSD / part." of=/dev/fd0/freebsd.pbr block=512
count=1

this will create a boot record from the FreeBSD's partition. Then boot to
Windows and in the C:\ drive copy the .pbr file to C:\ and edit the boot.ini
file to resemble something like this:

C:\freebsd.pbr="FreeBSD"

Then, depending how you want to do it, make Windows boot by default; do this
at a DOS prompt again with a DOS bootable disk and: fdisk /mbr, this way
when you boot, the Windows 2k boot loader will load and you will see
something like this:

Windows 2000 Professional
FreeBSD

Easy. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this procedure.

Nick Lozinsky