Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 00:19:28 -0500
From:      Muhannad Asfour <muhannad07@cogeco.ca>
To:        "Peter Ong" <peter@haloflightleader.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package or Ports CVSup

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:13:06 -0800
"Peter Ong" <peter@haloflightleader.net> wrote:

> Question:
> Do you guys usually build from the ports or install from packages the CVSup
> tool?
>
> This is my first time installing CVSup.  I went to /usr/ports/net/cvsup, and
> then I hit make.  It's downloading all kinds of stuff like XFree86 parts.
> And it's still continuing on the compile.  It's taking over an hour now.  Do
> you guys normally install CVSup from package or port?  Just want to find out
> the common practice.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter

Just go to /usr/ports/net/cvsup and type
"make -D WITHOUT_X11 install clean" (without the quotes). That way it will build cvsup without using XFree86 as a dependancy, thus cutting down the compile time.

Also, here is a good guide for cvsupping and buildworld:

http://www.defcon1.org/html/Software_Articles/Commands-Flags/cvsup-build/cvsup-build.html