Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:58:31 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        chuckr@mat.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tools ->printf

>Subject: tools ->printf

>I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong here with my smp problem,
>but I noticed that printf (the utility, not the function) is called in
>/usr/src/usr.sbin/amd/Makefile.inc, but printf isn't listed as a tool in
>/usr/src/Makefile.inc1.  Is this the correct way for it to be (I'm not
>certain of the requirements to get on the tools list).

Use of printf -> /dev/null.  amd/Makefile.inc is too sophisticated.
The `!=' assignment that it uses to find the obj directory has some
advantages, but is avoided for various reasons in hundreds of other
Makefiles.  (I once tried to get a variant of it to work in cc, but
gave up when I hit recursion and efficiency problems.  amd uses a
cleverer version to avoid some of the efficiency problems.)

Bruce