Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 16:03:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        leonard@pacbell.net (Leonard Chung)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP usage?

Leonard Chung wrote...
> Hi, I was wondering if anybody can help me with getting the user PPP
> program working.  I set up all of the options, verified that I can talk to
> my modem (via the term command), and have had it successfully dial out to
> the ISP.  However, once the connection is made (from term mode), PPP just
> displays a "<" on a line by itself.  It won't respond to any commands other
> than the "~." and "~P" commands.  I can't seem to use any of the TCP/IP
> programs either such as ping or ftp as they report that they have a DNS
> lookup failure.  Anybody have any ideas on what I can configure or where I
> can look for more info?

Well, once the connection is made to your ISP, you (presumably) have to
log in somehow and allow PPP packet mode to start.  How does your ISP
authenticate you? (PAP/CHAP, some login chat...)

How is your ppp.conf set up to handle the login sequence?

Please respond with the above stuff, and I'll help if I can.

> Thanks,
>
> Leonard
>
> P.S.  Does anybody know why they call a TCP/IP stack a stack?  Why isn't it
> called a queue as, correct me if I'm wrong, data sent to the stack is send
> out FIFO.

I think this is a usage of the word 'stack' to mean 'orderly pile' instead
of LIFO.  Network protocols are organised in sets of layers, the lowest
being the network hardware, and higher layers piling on abstraction.  See
'UNIX Network Programming' by Stevens for a description of several well-
known protocol stacks.

John

--
Well, that's like hypnotizing chickens.