Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:07:21 +1030 (CST)
From:      Justin Hawkins <justin@hawkins.dropbear.id.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   USB CD burner problems

Hi,

I bought a USB CD burner a while ago, internally the drive is a
Teac. I had a lot of problems with the USB ports on my Windows
box's motherboard (it's a Pentium MMX, it has USB headers but not
the actual ports, and of course they are proprietory). I ended up
buying a USB PCI card and putting it in there. Well I'm sure you
don't care too much about my Windows problems, but the short of it
is it didn't work with the PCI card - it would burn for a while
then the drive would appear to reset and I'd get a bunch of SCSI
errors.

Now this box is underpowered compared to the minimum specs, but I
don't hold much truck with them :-)

Anyway in light of my failure, I decided to try it my FreeBSD box
(which is only a 486-100!). After moving the PCI card and (slowly)
compiling in USB support, I'm happy to say it detected the drive
and mounted pre-recorded disks no problem. This is 4.2-BETA.

I compiled up the cdrecord port and gave it a test. It seemed to
have exactly the same problem! It maybe went a bit further, but
then the drive would clunk, and I'd get SCSI errors. This would
actually be quite bad as it would (I didn't narrow down the exact
circumstances) in some places completely crash the box - I think
it was after unplugging the drive after it reset.

I'm starting to think at this stage that the drive was faulty, but
I took it to a friend with on-motherboard USB ports and it worked
flawlessly.

So I guess what I'm asking is do I *really* need a PII-266 as the
burner box suggests? It seems ludicrous that you need something
like that to send just 150K/second to a device.

In all my tests I eventually downgraded to burning at 1x and never
(in either Windows software or cdrecord) did I see the buffer go
under 95%

Other information that may be important, PCI USB card (the only
common factor in my problems) has a VIA 83C572 chipset, it uses
the uhci device:

usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0

Does anyone think this could be the problem?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Regards,

   Justin

--
              Justin Hawkins --> justin@hawkins.dropbear.id.au
                 "Don't sweat it -- it's only 1's and 0's"