Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2007 01:39:49 -0500
From:      Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "Daan Vreeken \[PA4DAN\]" <Danovitsch@vitsch.net>, Kip Macy <kip.macy@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic at boot on any 6.x OS

On Feb 25, 2007, at 7:56 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

I usually perform those steps after I've rebooted to ensure that my
system will boot off the new kernel, as per the instructions in the
FreeBSD handbook.

> Joe, please try booting from a 6.2-release install ISO.  If it
> works without
> panicing,
> then you did something wrong during the upgrade.

Downloading the image now, I'll let you know if I'm able to boot from
it...

> Since by your own admission your not an expert, you would be well
> advised
> to simply back up your files the old fashioned way, reformat your
> hard disk,
> install from a 6.2 boot ISO, then restore your files.  Leave the fancy
> in-place
> updating to someone else.  It's a big PIA and doesen't work half
> the time
> anyway.

How well does simply upgrading with the CD work (as opposed to wiping
clean)? I've upgraded several times to new releases simply by
rebuilding world, it has never failed me in the past. I don't doubt
what you are saying here, but since I will have to change how I work,
assuming that I can boot off of the 6.2 CD, I'd appreciate any
general upgrade tips that don't involve wiping the disk clean (which
is not really an option).

For instance, is rebuilding world between point releases (e.g. 5.4 to
5.5) an okay idea, compared to across major releases (e.g. 5.5 to 6.2)?

I'll do my own homework regarding this too, but I appreciate any
nuggets of wisdom you might have! As far as me being an expert, I
guess I'd categorize me somewhere in between complete newb and
FreeBSD developer =)

Thanks again!

Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org