Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2000 22:09:30 -0500
From:      Joseph Jacobson <jacobson@pobox.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: things I noticed w/ 4.0

Sorry for the late reply on this.

Ok, cvsup'ed and loaded the most up-to-date bios for my motherboard.
(That was tale of woe, but I'll hold off on that telling).

> Joseph Jacobson wrote:
> >
> > Kernel option VESA fails (see dmesg below).  Is this a problem with my
> > graphics card?
>
> Are you, by any chance, both compiling in VESA _and_ loading it with
> loader?

VESA is compiled into the kernel.  I don't have a /boot/loader.conf
file.  Is there any other way for the VESA module to be loaded at boot,
before /etc/rc runs?  Also, none of the vidcontrol VESA modes work for
me.  (All this isn't a big deal, but the error message is weird).

> > Kernel option PNPBIOS causes the mouse to stop working.  A pointer is
> > visible at boot (w/ moused) until the mouse is moved, then it disappears
> > forever.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what PNPBIOS does....
>
> Weird. Are you sure your BIOS is set to PnP OS = No?

My bios has settings "PnP OS", "Use ICU" (run-time software utility),
and "Use Setup" (you specify what IRQs and DMAs are available to PnP).
I get the above behavior with all three of these settings, (although I
believe "Use Setup" is the correct one).  I even tried removing my one
ISA card (which I don't use anyway, so I can live without PNPBIOS).

> > 'halt -p' still doesn't turn my computer off :).  Haven't tested any other
> > functionality of apm though.  I usually disable apm in the bios since
> > it makes turning the system power off w/ the button on the case a problem
> > under FreeBSD.  Any ideas?
>
> Yep. Try turning apm in BIOS on. :-)

I didn't express myself very well in the above paragraph. :)  Here is the
behavior exhibited by my box with apm.  When apm is enabled in the bios,
and 'apm -e enable' is run, 'halt -p' causes the system to reboot.  'zzz'
causes the system to hang (unresponsive to keyboard and mouse input).
(I didn't try all permutations of my apm bios settings with 'zzz' to see
if I can work around the hang, but I don't think that's the cause).
Pushing my power button during the hang state caused the system to reboot.
Also, when apm is enabled, after a regular 'halt' or 'shutdown', pushing
the power button causes the machine to reset, not turn off.

None of this is stopping me from useful work w/ FreeBSD 4.0.

--Joe

Pertinent parts of dmesg follow:

FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #1: Thu Mar  2 09:27:11 EST 2000
    root@home:/usr/src/sys/compile/new
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc0341000.
Intel Pentium detected, installing workaround for F00F bug
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, c0246c6c, 0) error 6
md0: Malloc disk
chip1: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> port 0xff40-0xff4f at device 7.3 on pci0
pci0: <Number Nine model 493d graphics accelerator> at 18.0 irq 11
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
sc0: <System console> on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x200>