Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:49:15 +0100
From:      Dan Andersson <dana@zahadum.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PCMCIA ( pccard )

Hi all

I've just installed FreeBSD-2.2.6-R on my laptoy, a AST Ascentia M.

But...

The pccard refuses to work. As usual, the pccard did work ok in
windows95 so I know
that the 3COM589D actually works.

The pccard controller chip is a TI 1131. And the kernel reports it
during boot. But later in boot,
reports that "/dev/card0 Not configured".

I have browsed 'all' the newsgrops articles since 1996 in this matter,
but no solution so far.

I have the PAO-kit installed and configured. The kernel tries to start
the pccard but complains
on the /dev/card0 device. It's there allright, I double checked and also
did run MAKEDEV on
the requested devices.
I also ftp'ed home the PAO boot floppy, but still a complaint about the
/dev/card0.

I the desperation and despair of beeing without a network connection to
my latop, I also installed
Linux Redhat 5.0, and the linux kernel actually fires up the card, I can
see on the tp-led that the
card is started. ( Or at least have power. )

After the 'linux check', I reinstalled the FreeBSD, but with the same
result as earlier. Even with the PAO boot
floppy.

So now I'm out of ideas and my last resort is this mail. If anyone have
any ideas, pls mail me.

Regards

Dan Andersson