Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:00:19 +1030
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        Steve M <slavik944@metconnect.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs linux (some venting)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Steve M wrote:
> > What I mean by "Microsoft tint" is prefaced by.........

> The *nix OS' lack sufficient documentation for the average user.  I

> Windows is the most trouble free for my minor uses of PCing, surfing the net
> and putting together these  emails.

Glad I saw several posts - I can see where you are coming from.
Once apon a time ...
I remember getting my first PC - a 286.   Enclosed was a thorough book showing
me all about DOS 3.3(a).  Similarly with MS Word, Quattro Pro, R:Base, Norton
Untilities - hell YOU name it - up to and including Windows 3.11.  All came
with extensive and worthwhile hardcopy documentation.
After that it was all downhill.  Nowadays you have to pay - a LOT - to obtain
any worthwhile documentation on just about any Win-based app.

Linux is almost the reverse.  I liken it to an extensive Library with no card
index system, containing books whose titles sometimes give little guide to the
contents, none of which contain their own index.   Worse, most of the
documentation is written by geeks for geeks and is out of date, anyway.
You can buy books, but be careful.  Running Linux, which you like, is fine
provided you are running RedHat 5.2.  Trouble is that Linux is developing so
fast that publications can't keep up.  However, decent reference books like
"Linux in a Nutshell' will retain their value because they refer to command
structures that do not change much over time.

FreeBSD has a long and stable history.  Although you don't like it, I think the
documentation is superb.  I was specially attracted to "The Complete FreeBSD"
because it explained what I needed to know and what I need to do without
using geekspeak or talking down to me.  I have since found a number of
excellent documents which are particularly helpful to newbies like me.  One 16M
HTML doc by Doug Young shows step by step with screenshots, how to install
FreeBSD onto a laptop which is not equipped with a CDROM - I'll be using that
RSN.

As they say "Your mileage may vary" - I just thought I'd present another side
of the picture.

--
Regards,
Brian