Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 01:44:51 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015746293.e45ef9@mired.org>
To:        "Patrick Fish" <patrick@pwhsnet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystems

Patrick Fish <patrick@pwhsnet.com> types:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C1C3BF.3D280F90

Please stop sending HTML to this list.

> My disk layout looks like this:
>
> Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    18G   2.7G    14G    16%    /
> procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
> Would it be a good idea to break the major dirs into seperate =
> partitions?

Depends on what you're going to do with it. For people who aren't
familiar with the system, I recommedn two - / and /home - so that they
can reinstall the system without trashed personal data getting
trashed. Without a good reason - different backup/restore strategies,
firewalling between applications, different NFS export permissions,
etc. - creating extra partitions just creates more things to run out
of space.

> If so, could i do this with fdisk WITHOUT reformatting?

You don't do this with fdisk, you do it with disklabel. And yes,
you're going to have to dump, reformat, and restore if you want to
change the partitions.

	<mike